In 1989, First Presbyterian Church of York (FPC) received a bequest from Frank Smith to establish a ministry for the benefit of the underserved of York City. After careful and prayerful study to determine how best to carry out the donor’s wishes, FPC started the Caring Company (now known as The Caring Ministry of First Presbyterian Church) and hired a director to provide leadership for the organization. The Caring Ministry is overseen by a director and an advisory committee comprised of FPC members.
 
The Caring Ministry is an outreach of First Presbyterian Church that serves those in need in York City and York County. Every attempt is made to coordinate the services the Caring Ministry provides with other agencies in York to avoid duplication of services and to insure that client needs are being met. Other social service agencies in the community assist in this by referring people to the Caring Ministry.
 
The Caring Ministry is located int the Billmeyer House, adjacent to the church, at 225 West Market Street in York. The Billmeyer House was purchased from the Historical Society in 1959, and was remodeled to house the church offices in the 1970’s. In 2017, the offices were relocated, and the Billmeyer House was remodeled to allow for improvement and                                                                                       expansion of the Caring Ministry facilities.